Savannah is home to a proud military community with two bases located at Hunter Army Air Field (HAAF) and Fort Stewart as well as two Coast Guard Stations at Hunter and Tybee Island. It is our honor to help our military service members. We’ve compiled this list of neighborhoods, schools, vendors/contractors and more in order to make your transfer season as pain free as possible. Whether you’re looking to buy, sell or rent, we’re here to help. We are consultants first!
NEIGHBORHOODS: Savannah is home to a variety of family friendly neighborhoods. Here are our top picks:
- ARDSLEY PARK – Featuring almost every home style popular in the early twentieth century, this historic community boasts iconic Live Oak tree-lined streets and architecturally rich homes. This is where urban meets neighborhood.
- DOWNTOWN SAVANNAH – Downtown is the HEART of Savannah. This urban environment is the perfect place to walk to historic Forsyth Park, local restaurants and bars, or stroll down to River Street. Offering a wide mix of condos, townhomes, and some single family homes, you’ll find it all here!
- ISLANDS – Savannah’s Islands communities are one of the most sought-after areas of town. Located just minutes from the beach (Tybee Island) and Downtown Savannah, these island communities offer the Low Country lifestyle many are looking for with the ease and accessibility to all that Savannah has to offer.
- MIDTOWN – Midtown is the location of Memorial Health University Medical Center and St. Joseph/Candler Hospital, two of Savannah’s three hospitals. Midtown links Downtown to the Southside and is in close proximity to Hunter.
- POOLER – Conveniently located of I-95 and I-16, Pooler offers a mix of newer homes, townhomes, and condos within large developments with great amenities. They say “it’s cooler in Pooler”.
- RICHMOND HILL – The place to be in Bryan County. Richmond Hill is among the fastest growing communities in the nation. Located in South Bryan County, 20 miles from Savannah, Richmond Hill continues to grow as an alternative to the increasing congestion and taxes in Savannah/Chatham County.
- SOUTHSIDE – Southside Savannah is developed in a very typical suburban style with modest, generally inexpensive homes, condos and townhomes. The biggest draw to this area is likely ease of access to a plethora of retail and dining options. An important draw is also the presence of Hunter Army Airfield, which spans the midsection of the Southside.
- TYBEE ISLAND – Sitting at the mouth of the Savannah River, the 2.7-square-mile island holds a year-round population of approximately 3,400 residents, although this population increases greatly during the summer season.
SCHOOLS – Savannah offers a wide array of public, magnet, charter, and private schools. It’s also home to four colleges and universities.
SAVANNAH FAVORITES – As a military family we know that moving to a new city can be a challenge. We’ve created our Concierge page to help you get to know Savannah a little more. Here we’ve listed some of our favorite activities, restaurants, shopping and more. Enjoy!
Buying & Selling
Consider Your Options
MILITARY APPRECIATION PROGRAM – At the Don Callahan Real Estate Group we are honored to work with our active service members and veterans as they buy and sell real estate. In appreciation of their service, we’ve created our Military Appreciation Program. Military Buyers will receive a gift certificate good for a complimentary home warranty and termite inspection. Our Military Sellers will receive a gift certificate for a complimentary home staging consultation and deep clean. Ready to claim your certificates? Buyers | Sellers
RENT vs BUY – When you’re being transferred to Savannah, you may be wondering whether you should rent or buy. We invite you to consider your options.
Pros & Cons of Renting:
- PRO – Don’t have to maintain the property
- PRO – Leases are typically for one year only and can be broken with a “military clause”
- CON – Potential Landlord restrictions
- CON – Your pets may not be allowed or you might have to pay additional fees
- CON – As much as 40% of your income could be going to your landlord
- CON – Your landlord may decide to sell the house during the middle of your tour
Pros & Cons of Buying:
- PRO – No landlord!
- PRO – Have all the pets you want
- PRO – Make it feel like home. Paint the colors you want.
- PRO – Take a tax deduction for your mortgage
- PRO – Appreciating value increases wealth
- PRO – Use your VA loan certificate to get your home loan with 100% financing
- CON – You will have to maintain your property
- CON – You will need to either sell or rent your home out when you transfer
VA LOAN – 100% Financing
BankSouth Mortgage is honored to offer this special financing to our country’s military personnel. The VA home loan program offers no down payment for the purchase of a primary residence. There is no monthly mortgage insurance cost on VA loans which helps keep the monthly payment cost down. Flexible underwriting guidelines also allow for thin or alternative credit. To find out if you are eligible for the VA home loan benefit, please call Michael Caputo at 912-658-2366.
MOVING TO ANOTHER UNIT? Going through a military PCS and not sure where to begin? We can help! We have a vast network of top real estate agents across the country that will have your best in mind. Contact us today!
Our Military Clients
What our clients have to say
“We had a full price offer on our house in 3 days of putting on the market! He correctly priced our house, he was quick to respond, and his team is just as knowledgeable and helpful. He made the process easy and smooth and was very timely and professional.” — The Dence Family, ARMY
“Don is a consummate professional. He is tireless in his efforts to find you the home you desire at the price you can afford. I recommend Don Callahan to all of my friends and business associates.” — K. Ryan, ARMY
“Don did a great job. First impressions mean a lot. His thorough understanding and research of the market and comps in my area made for a seamless sell. Within 4 business days my house was under contract.” — S. Von Fange, ARMY