Ready to live the island life? This 60 x 75 buildable lot provides the perfect opportunity for you to create that island getaway you’ve been waiting for! Just a short walk away from your toes in the sand! Conveniently located on the South end of Tybee Island, near the pier, shops, restaurants, and more. Have your own little slice of paradise!
Features & Upgrades
- Offered at $199,000
- Buildable Lot
- .10 Acres
- 60 by 75 Buildable Lot
- South End of Tybee Island
- Tybee Island Community
- Near the Pier, Shops, Restaurants, and more!
Location! Tybee Island
Tybee Island, located approximately eighteen miles from Savannah, is a seaside community in the upper coastal region of Georgia. Sitting at the mouth of the Savannah River, the 2.7-square-mile island holds a year-round population of approximately 3,400 residents, although this population increases greatly during the summer season.
Officially renamed “Savannah Beach” in a publicity move at the end of the 1950s, the city of Tybee Island has since reverted to its original name though the name “Savannah Beach” appears on official state maps as far back as 1952 and as recently as the mid-1970s. The small island, which has long been a quiet getaway for the residents of Savannah, has become a popular vacation spot with tourists from outside the Savannah metropolitan area. The island is also home to the first of what became the Days Inn chain of hotels, the oft-photographed Tybee Island Light Station, and the Fort Screven Historic District.
Home styles are varied from high turn-of-the-century beach houses to modern Ranch style homes, condominiums and townhouses. Prices tend to reflect the demand for coastal settings but there are rare bargains now and again. Tybee is a mellow, close-knit, live and let live community. Parents confidently let their kids roam the island without concern and front doors are often simply left unlocked. There is a unique low country barrier island vibe that is distinctly different from any other in Savannah or its other islands. Things here famously move on “Tybee time”.
And so, there are miles of beaches, forts and museums and a great old lighthouse; endangered birds and other animal species; kayaks and bikes to rent (along with all kinds of hotels, motels, cottage and condo rentals too). Days here are as active, or lazy, as mood demands. Local galleries, dozens of shops and unique restaurants offer changes of pace and taste. It’s definitely island life at its best with the added bonus of grand, historic Savannah only twenty minutes away-the best of both worlds, as they say.
TYBEE ISLAND HISTORY
Tybee is thought to have been originally occupied by the Euchee tribe of Native Americans, from whom it got its name. In the Euchee language tybee means salt, a plentiful natural resource in the area. Before the island was colonized as part of Georgia, it was claimed by explorer Lucas Vasquez de Ayllon in 1520 as part of Spanish Florida. During the seventeenth century, France became interested in the island because of its sassafras root, which was thought to be a miracle elixir that—once made into tea—would cure many ailments.
In 1733 General James Oglethorpe and the Trustees established Georgia as a military buffer zone, with Savannah as the capital, between the colony of South Carolina and the territory of Spanish Florida. Tybee Island played an important role in the creation of the new colony. Oglethorpe recognized the strategic importance of placing an outpost on Tybee to guard the mouth of the river that guided ships into the port of Savannah, and in 1736 a small fort and lighthouse were constructed on the island.
Tybee Island played an important role in several military battles. During the Revolutionary War, when British forces took control of Savannah, French and American forces used Tybee Island and other outposts as staging grounds in preparation for what was to be the second bloodiest battle of the war, the 1779 Siege of Savannah. (Only the 1775 Battle of Bunker Hill in Massachusetts resulted in higher casualties.) Tybee saw little action in the War of 1812 (1812-15), although a warning system using the island’s lighthouse was set up to signal an imminent British attack on the area.