Victorian District Duplex! Centrally located in Downtown Savannah with Forsyth Park just a quick walk away as well as the thriving Thomas Square district as neighbors, this duplex has it all! A new roof was installed in 2016 and the HVAC is less than 4 years old! The downstairs unit features hardwood floors, deep moldings, original fireplaces, and 5 panel pocket doors. The eat-in kitchen leads to the rear deck and the fenced courtyard garden. The upstairs unit also has hardwood floors, separate living & dining rooms with fireplaces, and a fully equipped kitchen. There is also a private rear deck just off the kitchen.
Features & Upgrades
- Offered at $320,000
- Built in 1890
- New Roof in 2016
- HVAC less than 4 years old
- Hardwood Floors
- 5 Panel Pocket Doors
- Private Rear Decks for each unit
- Fenced Courtyard Garden
Location! Victorian District
Savannah’s Victorian Historic District is one of a number of Historic Districts in and around Downtown Savannah. The true Victorian District runs from the south side of Gwinnett Street to Anderson Street, bordered by MLK and Broad Street to the west and east, respectively. South of the Victorian District is the Thomas Square Historic District; a much larger district which includes Victorian-era homes and is thus sometimes also erroneously included when people speak generically about the “Victorian District.”
Following the Civil War, crowded living conditions downtown and technological advances, such as paved streets, a streetcar system, and electricity, promoted the development of suburban residences. When a streetcar system was installed in 1869 real estate developers followed its tracks, building inexpensive frame houses in the southern edges of the city. Highly detailed Victorian and Queen Anne Victorian homes, constructed between 1870 and 1910, were built in a 50-block division, 165-acre neighborhood south of the Savannah Landmark Historic District.
The wood frame houses dating from the 1870s and 1880s in particular are a mixture of several Victorian styles of architecture. Some of the best examples of these are the Carpenter Box style houses on West Gwinnett Street embellished with ornate brackets and cornices, the Queen Anne style mansion at the corner of Whitaker and Gwinnett, and the imposing Victorian Telfair Hospital on Park Avenue. Nineteenth century developers did not continue Oglethorpe’s city plan of squares into the southern reaches of the city.
Rather, the streets were arranged on a grid pattern and the squares replaced with a green planting area between the sidewalk and street and a small garden in front of each house. Frame construction abounds in the Victorian District, as the fire ordinance prohibiting frame buildings in the older sections of the city did not extend to this area. city. The restoration of this famous area began in the late 1960s but escalated from 1980 to the 1990s and the area was designated a National Register District in 1974, and is bounded by Gwinnett Street on the north, Anderson Lane on the south, East Broad Street, and Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard on the west.