1. The worldwide emergency number of mobile phones is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you. And, interestingly, this number 112 can be dialed even if your keypad is locked!
2. Have you locked your keys in the car? Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy some day. And it’s a good reason to own a cell phone. If you lock your keys in your car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock! Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other “remote” for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).
3. You have hidden battery power in your cell phone if the battery is very low: press *3370#. Your cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell the next time.
4. How do you disable your cell phone if it’s stolen? To check your phone’s serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: *#06#. A 15-digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. If your phone is stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them your unique code. Your provider will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless to them. You probably won’t get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can’t use or sell it either. If everyone did this, there would be no point to people stealing cell phones!
5. You can get free Directory Service for cell phone. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial: (800) FREE411, or (800) 373-3411 without incurring any charge at all. Program this little hint into your cell phone now.