Savannah is home to a proud military community with two bases located at Hunter Army Air Field (HAAF) and Fort Stewart as well as two Coast Guard Stations at Hunter and Tybee Island. It is our honor to help our military service members as they PCS to and from the Savannah area.
We say it all the time, “We LOVE this town!” And it’s so true. Most of us are from other parts of the country and for various reasons Savannah has called us home. Maybe it was the slower pace, the warmer temperatures, or just plain ol’ opportunity. Whatever it was, we are thrilled to not only call Savannah home, but to welcome others to join us in this great jewel of the south. Click here for our top five reasons we love living in Savannah, GA.
Depending on where you’ll be stationed and your preferred commute time, there are plenty of Savannah area neighborhoods to consider.
Savannah is home to a variety of family friendly neighborhoods. Here are our top picks:
- ARDSLEY PARK – Featuring almost every home style popular in the early twentieth century, this historic community boasts iconic Live Oak tree-lined streets and architecturally rich homes. This is where urban meets neighborhood.
- DOWNTOWN SAVANNAH – Downtown is the HEART of Savannah. This urban environment is the perfect place to walk to historic Forsyth Park, local restaurants and bars, or stroll down to River Street. Offering a wide mix of condos, townhomes, and some single family homes, you’ll find it all here!
- ISLANDS – Savannah’s Islands communities are one of the most sought-after areas of town. Located just minutes from the beach (Tybee Island) and Downtown Savannah, these island communities offer the Low Country lifestyle many are looking for with the ease and accessibility to all that Savannah has to offer.
- MIDTOWN – Midtown is the location of Memorial Health University Medical Center and St. Joseph/Candler Hospital, two of Savannah’s three hospitals. Midtown links Downtown to the Southside and is in close proximity to Hunter.
- POOLER – Conveniently located of I-95 and I-16, Pooler offers a mix of newer homes, townhomes, and condos within large developments with great amenities. They say “it’s cooler in Pooler”.
- RICHMOND HILL – The place to be in Bryan County. Richmond Hill is among the fastest growing communities in the nation. Located in South Bryan County, 20 miles from Savannah, Richmond Hill continues to grow as an alternative to the increasing congestion and taxes in Savannah/Chatham County.
- SOUTHSIDE – Southside Savannah is developed in a very typical suburban style with modest, generally inexpensive homes, condos and townhomes. The biggest draw to this area is likely ease of access to a plethora of retail and dining options. An important draw is also the presence of Hunter Army Airfield, which spans the midsection of the Southside.
- TYBEE ISLAND – Sitting at the mouth of the Savannah River, the 2.7-square-mile island holds a year-round population of approximately 3,400 residents, although this population increases greatly during the summer season.
Explore Financing – VA Loan
BankSouth Mortgage is honored to offer this special financing to our country’s military personnel. The VA home loan program offers no down payment for the purchase of a primary residence. There is no monthly mortgage insurance cost on VA loans which helps keep the monthly payment cost down. Flexible underwriting guidelines also allow for thin or alternative credit. To find out if you are eligible for the VA home loan benefit, please call Michael Caputo at 912-658-2366.